Question:

From New York, USA:

I am concerned that my three year old son may be experiencing early signs of diabetes. However he also has other health problems. He has hydronephrosis which has been surgically repaired. He also suffers from many food allergies therefore his diet is already monitored, and he does not eat junk foods. All male members on his father side have been diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes, and his grandfather takes several shots a day. A great grandmother on his mothers side has type 1 and an aunt is currently monitoring herself.

When he was younger, he drank a lot and ate little. However, now he eats a normal amount of food for a three year old. He does not seem to drink excessively, nor does he urinate excessively. (He has recently been potty trained so this is not a fun activity). My concern is that on two different occasions (one after eating dried fruit and a second after canned fruit) he stated that he did not feel well and that he had to lie down. He became pale and clammy. After giving him a drink and more food he felt better. Could this be an early sign? Can I test him at home? I have never heard of MODY. Can this also be tested at home?

Answer:

The symptoms described do not sound specific and certainly not like diabetes. Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young is a term used for several different 'genetic' types of diabetes and require specialist expertise to diagnose. However, I don't believe that this is likely in your son.

[Editor's comment: See symptoms of diabetes and Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes. SS]