From Mississippi, USA:

My 13 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for about six months now and has been thinking about getting a pump. Is the pump better than the insulin injections? Some people say that it is more efficient. They love the pump, but also other people tell me that it is hard and that injecting the insulin is better.

If your daughter does not have a diabetes team or a doctor knowledgeable about teenagers using insulin pumps, I would either find such an individual/team or leave the idea go. You and your daughter probably need to see a diabetes team and discuss these issues with them.

If you daughter wants a pump, it is more work at first to learn all about it (and blood glucose monitoring is key here). However, the pump gives much more flexibility in life.

[Editor's comment: Please see previous questions about pump use and Is pumping for you?. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps