Question:

From Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

I have noticed that there is correlation between my 11 year old boy's (from a very young age) moods and what he has recently eaten, in particular foods containing high sources of sugar, natural source or refined. There have been times when he gets a glazed over look, certain look in his eyes, his skin is pale and he is not himself. He can become highly irritated, argumentative and insisting on a sugar source. This has escalated in the past few years to some very verbal behavior that is not pleasant.

I have read the typical signs and symptoms for hypoglycemia, but there isn't much indication of a persons mood being affected in an aggressive way. He doesn't get the shakes or vomit -- he just gets nasty and difficult to be around. To what extent can a persons behavior be affected? I would like to find out more about the effects on mood and behavior as a result of fluctuating blood sugar levels.

Answer:

If you believe your son's symptoms are the result of hypoglycemia, you should bring that to the attention of your son's physician. You can easily test blood sugar at these times to definitively find out if blood sugar fluctuations are affecting your son. In children with diabetes, high and low blood sugar can have a dramatic effect on mood and behavior.

Posted to Behavior