Question:

From Topeka, Kansas, USA:

I am 36 years old, ten weeks pregnant with my fifth child, I have had no miscarriages, I have never had an abnormal first screening for gestational diabetes,.and my largest baby was eight and a half pounds. However, I have not felt well after certain meals/snacks with a lot of sugar. I feel a little weak and lack energy after these and sometimes short of breath. Are these symptoms of gestational diabetes? Should I ask for an early test?

Answer:

These are symptoms of pregnancy at age 36, and your history is not suggestive of gestational diabetes. Therefore, I'd suggest do your glucose screening as scheduled at 24-28 weeks.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes