From Topeka, Kansas, USA:

I am 36 years old, ten weeks pregnant with my fifth child, I have had no miscarriages, I have never had an abnormal first screening for gestational diabetes,.and my largest baby was eight and a half pounds. However, I have not felt well after certain meals/snacks with a lot of sugar. I feel a little weak and lack energy after these and sometimes short of breath. Are these symptoms of gestational diabetes? Should I ask for an early test?

These are symptoms of pregnancy at age 36, and your history is not suggestive of gestational diabetes. Therefore, I'd suggest do your glucose screening as scheduled at 24-28 weeks.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes