From Tucson, Arizona, USA:

Last week, my brother, who has had diabetes for almost 40 years, suffered a mini-stroke. Could this have been caused by steroids given to correct dizziness?

I doubt that the stroke was caused by steroids. Patients who suffer a stroke do so because of a clot that becomes loose and lodges in a blood vessel or the gradual thickening and rupture of a plaque in a vessel wall. In other words, these events are associated with a chronic course, and patients with diabetes are at risk for suffering strokes.