Question:

From Lakeland, Florida, USA:

My 14 year old son has entered the world of high school athletics, and the school has built a new soccer field, but the nearest restrooms are some 300 yards away. Is this within reason? I am concerned about those times when his degree of urgency may be too intense to successfully run that distance.

Answer:

While having diabetes, especially if it is sub-optimally controlled, can lead to increased urination, it usually is not associated with such driving urgency that a 14 year old boy cannot "hold it" for 300 yards to attend the restroom. In addition, if this occurs during exercise on the soccer field, I presume that he'll get a good workout, sweat some fluids, and his urine output will decline somewhat.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

If your son wants to play high school soccer, he'll probably do just fine figuring out how to pee -- even if there is a 300 yard dash to the bathroom. Let him decide! It's good responsibility training.

Posted to School and Daycare