Question:

From Mexico City, Mexico:

I am a 38 year old male who has chronic pancreatitis and diabetes treated with twice daily NPH insulin. Normally I wake up with blood sugars of 100-110 mg/dl [5.5-6.1 mmol/L], but postprandial levels in some cases of 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L], and I want to improve my glycemic levels in all day. Can I use Regular insulin mixed with the NPH in the morning and NPH at night?

Answer:

I would suggest adding Regular, Humalog, or Novolog insulin to your current insulin dosing. This should dramatically help with your elevated postprandial blood sugar levels. You will have the best success if you add Regular or Humalog at the time of meals in addition to your current NPH dosing. You should discuss any changes you are planning with your physician.