Question:

From Palm Springs, California, USA:

I am a recovering alcoholic (I have nine months of sobriety this month), and I do not have diabetes, but my last blood work showed a blood sugar level of 192 mg/dl [10.7 mmol/L]. My doctor said this is common in recovering alcoholics. Is this so? Should I be concerned?

Answer:

would be concerned enough to have a fasting blood sugar performed to determine whether or not you have type 2 diabetes.

[Editor's comment: Congratulations on your sobriety -- but remember to take one day at a time!

Even if your next blood sugar test is normal, please continue to have intermittent testing thereafter. A level of 192 mg/dl 10.7 mmol/L] is too high to be ignored. WWQ]