Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

I am thirsty a lot so I drink lots of water (12 16-ounce bottles per day or more), and I urinate a lot as well which I have attributed that to the amount of water that I drink. Recently, two urine tests showed that my urine was diluted. Could this indicate to me that I possibly could have diabetes? Why are my tests are coming up diluted?

Answer:

Increased thirst and increased urination are both symptoms of diabetes. You may also be urinating frequently because you drink a lot of water (you mentioned 12 16-ounce bottles per day). Your health care provider can do a simple blood sugar test to help determine if you have diabetes. You don't mention much about yourself that would give me an idea of your risk of diabetes. Diabetes increases with age. People with a family history of diabetes, who are obese, who have high blood pressure or types of high cholesterol are also more at risk. I recommend you talk to your health care provider about your risks and your symptoms and consider a blood sugar test for diabetes.

TB

Additional comments from Dr. Jim Lane:

Which came first? Was it increased water drinking or increased urination? Diabetes can cause frequent urination and water drinking. It is an easy test to check for glucose in the urine or a check of your blood for a glucose level. These tests should be done to figure out why you are drinking and urinating so much. In addition, there can be other problems associated with conserving free water in your body that your physician can test for. I would suggest you see your physician and review these symptoms.

[Editor's comment: There is a condition called, Diabetes Insipidus which could cause the symptoms you describe. SS]

DTQ-ONCEM20011112254