From Mexico:

My three year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about four months ago, has had a "bad stomach" for about 16 months. Many doctors have checked him for it, but he still gets frequent diarrhea and stomach pain. An internist said he had no symptoms of gluten allergy, and we took lactose out of his diet, but nothing changed. What else can he be checked for? I'm just confused and tired of seeing him with these stomach problems.

It sounds like he does have symptoms that could be gluten allergy or celiac disease which is more common in people with diabetes. The only way to be sure he doesn't have it is for him to have an antibody test, and if this is positive, a tiny biopsy taken from the inside of his gut to confirm. However, there are many other possibilities (for example, a gut infection) which he should be checked for with stool cultures.

Posted to Aches and Pains