From Ashland, Ohio, USA:

My 27 year old sister, who has had diabetes since age six, has a lot of serious problems and needs to see a specialist in any state because the doctors here are putting her on all kinds of medicines, but nothing seems to help. She has a child and wasn't supposed to have children, and now her kidneys are functioning at 20%. She also has high blood pressure, her digestive system doesn't work, and she has diabetic neuropathy.

All in all, my sister has serious problems, and no doctor here has helped. This is urgent -- I cannot stress the help I need now. Please send me a list of clinics or hospitals in any state that specialize in diabetes.

I would recommend you check several sources for referral to a physician specializing in diabetes. First, the local American Diabetes Association affiliate may have a list of providers. Second, her local hospital's diabetes educator, or her physician may have several names. You can also check out the teaching hospitals (frequently these are at medical schools) in her state.

[Editor's comment: It really isn't clear whether your sister is under the care of a diabetes team or not. If not, she should ask for a referral to one. If she is, then perhaps you might want to talk to the social worker on the team about your concerns. WWQ]