From Wesley Chapel, Florida, USA:

I am 57 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for about 50 years. I have always been very brittle, and for the last six to seven years, control of my diabetes has really been difficult. At one point, it seemed that the paramedics were being called once a week because of my low blood sugars. I am scared and I don't know what to do.

My primary care physician has been very supportive and caring, but I just cant seem to get this high and low blood sugar thing under control. My doctor wants me to start using Lantus (insulin glargine), but in the past, I have had problems with high blood sugars while trying to change to this type of insulin.

I am looking for a camp or clinic for adults that would be a week or two in duration where I could be exposed to new information, new techniques on diabetes care, observation of people with diabetes who would be changing insulins, etc. I am searching for a place (not necessarily a hospital) where medical personnel would be available to help adults with changes in insulin, weight loss, etc. I am looking for a place where one would be in a camp or clinic atmosphere away from home, but not in a hospital necessarily. This type of program may or may not be covered by any insurance plan. For instance I would probably get this same type of care if I ended up in the emergency room due to a very low or very high blood sugars, but my search is for a facility that will allow me to obtain what is needed for me to survive through preventive care. Are there any adult diabetic camps/clinics?

I would suggest you contact your local diabetes educators who would have notice of the types of opportunities you are looking for. This is best handled locally. Choices for therapy can be discussed and debated with an eye on possible changes. Clearly, any change should be made in concert with your physician.

[Editor's comment: There are many recognized diabetes programs for adults in your area. Contact your local American Diabetes Association affiliate or call the American Association of Diabetes Educators at 1-800-TEAM UP for a listing of programs and educators in your area.

You might also want to check out Taking Control of Your Diabetes. Dr Stephen Edelman runs these seminars throughout the country. SS]