Question:

From Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA:

I am quite large, have had diabetes for almost 21 years, and, for a few years, I restricted my food intake. Some would say I was anorexic, except that I never really got that thin, but did spend a few months purging what I ate. Now, for the last few years, I seem to overeat compulsively. It's kind of like it's all or nothing for me. Either I'm totally overboard with my food intake, or I'm not taking in nearly enough (usually it's going way overboard though). Is gastric bypass an accepted and safe procedure for people with diabetes?

Answer:

You don't say whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, and I must say I have not heard of gastric bypass being used in a person with type 1. Surgery should be only a final step after other things have been tried. No matter which type of diabetes you have, have you seen a diabetes dietitian or a counselor to discuss your eating challenges? If not, please do so as a first step. I am glad you confided in us, but I think you need someone to work with you either individually or in a group.

LSF

DTQ-20010805093704B
Posted to Behavior