Question:

From West Palm Beach, Florida, USA:

I had a fasting blood sugar done which was 196 mg/dl [10.9 mmol/L] which is strange since my first test (which was random after about five hours after eating) was 181 mg/dl [10.5 mmol/L]. I am at a real loss here! I did fast for almost nine hours. Anyway, my doctor also said that my three month test was 6% (I think) which she is an average of 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L].

If I am developing diabetes, we must be catching it at the very beginning. She is going to prescribe Glucophage [metformin] and then see me again in a month. She did mention that she thinks it could be controlled by diet and that I need to watch certain foods, but she didn't specify a diet so I will call her back tomorrow and ask for one.

Answer:

A five hour postprandial blood sugar is essentially the same as fasting. Blood sugars should return to normal within four hours after a meal, even one loaded with carbs.

If you want a meal plan, you should ask for a referral to a dietitian. A meal plan for diabetes needs to be individualized which can only be done by direct consultation.

SS

DTQ-20011115074258FU