From Denver, Colorado, USA:

I have had type 2 diabetes for almost five years, and I understand researchers are making good progress these days in developing remedies for type 1 diabetes through islet cell and stem cell research, but I am wondering if there is any development in finding a cure for type 2?

The main underlying problem in most cases of type 2 diabetes is insulin resistance, and, unfortunately, it is at the moment beyond the reach of genetic engineering to permanently change the insulin receptors on every cell. Nonetheless, new hypoglycemic drugs, new insulins and ways to administer them and above all renewed attention to exercise and maintaining normal weight are making it easier to achieve good control in this form of diabetes.

Posted to Research: Cure