Question:

From Woodstock, New Brunswick, Canada:

My 82 year old aunt, who has had type 2 diabetes for over 10 years, is treated with glyburide [a pill for Type 2 diabetes] and Avandia [rosiglitazone]. She also takes a calcium channel blocker and an ACE inhibitor, has developed muscle pain in her upper legs and buttocks, and the discomfort is getting worse. These areas are not sore to touch, but walking etc, getting up and down are becoming more painful. Could her medication or the combination of several drugs be the cause of this pain?

Answer:

I have a couple of thoughts.

• Her physician could measure muscle enzymes in her blood to see if there is a muscle inflammation.
  • It could also be the case that she has narrowing of the blood vessels in her lower part of her body. When she exercises, there is cramping and pain in the legs and buttocks.

Your aunt will need to discuss these issues with her physician.

•