Question:

From Geneva, Illinois, USA:

My 12 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 11 months ago, sometimes complains that his legs feel "restless" when his blood sugar is high. He shakes his legs, trying to relieve his pain. A long walk does tend to help him feel better. I have asked his endocrinologist about this, but she has never heard of this symptom. What do you think it could be?

Answer:

I do not know why your son is experiencing this discomfort when his glucose readings are high. Does it only occur when he is hyperglycemic? How high? Does he have ketones when this occurs? Is your son generally in good control as reflected by a hemoglobin A1c less than 8%? If so, then I think it unusual for the symptoms to be diabetes related.

High glucose levels can be associated with a shift in the blood potassium levels which can lead to muscle aches, cramping, and other symptoms. Adrenal gland problems, on very rare occasions, can lead to muscle weakness and discomfort.

Your son's primary care doctor might want to check a set of serum electrolytes (salts) during one of the episodes or perhaps even check a muscle enzyme level called "CPK." Regardless, I'd keep an open dialogue with his primary care doctor.

Posted to Aches and Pains