Question:

From Hugo, Minnesota, USA:

I'm interested in learning more about the specific constituents of cow's milk, such as the betacaseins. I would like to know if it is possible to know if the milk sold in the grocery store contains betacasein A1, A2 or B? Also, I've read that, theoretically, soy based products have as much risk as dairy products. Why is that?

Answer:

A1, A2 and B betacasein content is not required as part of milk labelling. It is possible though that the wholesale supplier may have or be able to obtain that information. However, since supermarket milk is likely to be derived from widely distributed sources, it is almost certain that all three betacaseins will be present to a somewhat variable degree in any sample.

There are almost no data on the relationship between soy formula and type 1 diabetes, although there was one study in the U.S. back in 1986 that showed that in a comparison of a group of children with type 1 diabetes and their normal siblings the diabetic group were more likely to have been exposed to soy milk. This study has not been repeated or confirmed, something that also has to be said about the betacasein story.

DTQ-ONCLTE20010521