From Albany, New York, USA:

I am an 18 year old female who is not overweight, and three months after being diagnosed with celiac disease, I was hospitalized with pancreatitis. My mom and I are concerned that the pancreatitis and the recent diagnosis of celiac disease, in addition to a family history of type 1diabetes, have put me more at risk for the development of diabetes. Does acute pancreatitis do anything to the pancreas long term? No one has been able to explain this to me, and any information is greatly appreciated!

A single bout of mild pancreatitis is usually not associated with diabetes later in life. However, multiple recurrent bouts of pancreatitis do damage the pancreas. Diabetes and elevated blood sugars tend to follow exocrine deficiency (the loss of enzymes for meal digestion). There is a relationship between celiac disease disease and type 1 diabetes in that both are autoimmune autoimmune disorders.

If there is an increase in the risk of diabetes, this might be evaluated by measurement of antibodies against the beta cells that your physician can order. In addition, you can undergo an IV glucose tolerance test to look at insulin secretion, but this test is done only at special centers.