Question:

From Sydney, Australia:

I am a 23 year old male, with diabetes for 15 years currently in good control (last A1c was 8.6%) and my blood tests were all normal except for signs of elevated thyroid antibodies. My doctor informed me this doesn't need treatment but needing watching. Should I be concerned? What could this mean for me long term? I am gathering the idea that most likely it is easily treated if it becomes a problem. Is this the case?

Answer:

You are correct. Low thyroid hormone levels are not difficult to treat. You may or not even develop this problem over the course of your life.

[Editor's comment: would pay more attention to a hemoglobin A1c level of 8.6% if this is more than 1% above the upper limit of normal in your laboratory. Results of the DCCT. clearly demonstrated that A1c values greater than this significantly increase the potential for complications. SS]

Posted to Thyroid