From Fremont, California, USA:

I am a 46 year old overweight female (236 pounds) who had fasting blood sugars of 138-146 mg/dl [7.7-8.1 mmol/L] and oral glucose tolerance test values of 198 mg/dl [11 mmol/L] at two hours and 88 mg/dl [4.9 mmol/L] at three hours. My doctor said that I have fatty liver because of being overweight and sedentary (both true) and that I am insulin resistant so he put me on Glucophage [metformin] twice a day a month ago. Since then, my blood sugar is usually between 110-120 mg/dl [6.1-6.7 mmol/L] in the morning and at bedtime, I am eating healthier, I am exercising three to four times a week, and I have lost 10 pounds.

I saw my doctor who was very pleased when he saw my blood glucose diary and said I could probably get off the Glucophage when I lose another 30 pounds. However, I really get hungry, usually an hour or two after eating. I am eating healthy food and snacks, but being so hungry is really annoying. Before the diagnosis, I was hungry all the time also, so I had an idea that something was going on. Is that normal for people who have their blood sugar levels under control to still be hungry all the time?

The blood sugars you stated are consistent with diabetes, according to the American Diabetes Association Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes guidelines.

It is great that you are changing your diet and lifestyle to improve your health. When individuals have elevated blood sugars, sometimes they are more hungry. However, I expect you have really cut down on your calories. Keep up the good work.

[Editor's comment: It sounds like you need some help in preventing your hunger. You should request a referral to a dietitian who can help you develop an individualized meal plan that will satisfy your hunger yet allow you to continue losing weight. SS]

Posted to Type 2