Question:

From San Diego, California, USA:

I am 39 years old, I have type 2 diabetes, diagnosed about six months ago, and I have frequent urinary tract infections. Are frequent urinary tract infections a symptom or indication of future kidney disease? You say urinary tract infections are related to estrogen. Is there an estrogen product that would help with this?

Answer:

Frequent urinary tract infections are not predictive of diabetes-related kidney disease. However, if they occur, it is still important to address the underlying cause as any problems to the kidney from chronic infections could be additive to diabetes-related problems.

Sometimes estrogens are used to improve the integrity of the urethra and its junction with the vagina. The estrogen therapy is a topical estrogen.However, some absorption may occur. It is necessary that you speak with your physician about this before you initiate therapy with any form of estrogen.

Posted to Other Illnesses and Complications