From Spartanburg, South Carolina, USA:

I am 44 years old and have been taking 1000 mg of Glucophage XR per day for about nine months, yet my blood sugar is still usually in the 160-180 mg/dl [8.9 10mmol/L] range, including my morning glucose reading. Isn't the morning reading supposed to be lower? What could be causing this?

I agree with you. I think you should shoot for lower sugars. This is especially true since you can increase the dose of the Glucophage XR [metformin].

I would suggest you aim for a fasting glucose less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] and pre-meal sugars less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L]. Please talk with your physician about this.