From Pacific Grove, California, USA:

My 56 year husband, who takes U-500 insulin, is continuing to gain weight and becoming depressed. It's so hard for him to do exercise as he has a bad knee and severe pain in his shoulders. The doctors really want him to stay active, but it's getting harder for him. What information do you have on U-500 insulin?

U-500 insulin is very rarely needed or used. You should ask these questions directly to your husband's diabetes team since they know him best, can answer your questions specifically and with direct knowledge of what they are recommending and why.

[Editor's comment: The insulin itself may be contributing to the weight gain. If your husband is not followed by a diabetes specialist, I strongly urge that he seek a referral to one. SS]