Question:

From Pasadena, California, USA:

My seven year old son has type 1 diabetes and currently attends a Catholic school in the Los Angeles region. Are there any laws, or are any being discussed governing his care at a private school? I'm always being told absolutely no blood testing in the classroom. Do I have any basis to fight that?

Answer:

Unfortunately, as I understand things, your son's parochial school is not bound by the laws unless it receives Federal funding. I would inquire about this and then, if it does, make sure that your son has a 504 plan in place. You might also seek the assistance of your local American Diabetes Association affiliate to help you with this problem.

There are many schools that do not allow testing in the classroom. You can fight it I guess, but it may things more difficult.

SS

Posted to School and Daycare