From San Diego, California, USA:

I am 39, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about six months ago, and I am treated with diet and exercise. My hemoglobin A1c is 5.2%, but I had trace ketones the day after I had a chocolate milkshake which raised me to almost 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Are occasional trace ketones okay if they don't persist?

Don't confuse ketones in the urine from diabetes with ketones in the urine from fasting. Intermittent ketones are not dangerous to adults by themselves. The ketones are a problem if your sugars are acutely rising or stay high for a time. Otherwise, your blood sugar monitoring is much more important for blood sugar control.