Question:

From San Diego, California, USA:

I am 39, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about six months ago, and I am treated with diet and exercise. My hemoglobin A1c is 5.2%, but I had trace ketones the day after I had a chocolate milkshake which raised me to almost 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Are occasional trace ketones okay if they don't persist?

Answer:

Don't confuse ketones in the urine from diabetes with ketones in the urine from fasting. Intermittent ketones are not dangerous to adults by themselves. The ketones are a problem if your sugars are acutely rising or stay high for a time. Otherwise, your blood sugar monitoring is much more important for blood sugar control.

DTQ-20011128223106B