From Martin, South Dakota, USA:

I have had diabetes for 18 years which at first was diagnosed as type 1, but now they say I'm type 2. I have managed to keep fair control with an A1c of 7%, but my last one was 11%. Not good! I have been put on one shot a day of a new insulin called Lantus. Would you think I should stay on my same diet plan?

It is important that you stay on your diet, even though your insulin has been changed. The goal is to eat at a similar time and eat a similar food amount. If you are overweight, it is important to not overeat.

[Editor's comment: I don't know what insulin regimen you were previously on, which resulted in your good control of a hemoglobin A1c of 7%. If you did have a 7% on your previous regimen, I would ask your doctor to consider switching you back.

Lantus (insulin glargine) provides only basal insulin and will not give you enough insulin to cover your food intake. You will almost inevitably need to add Humalog or Novolog at mealtime, based on your carbohydrate intake. If you are not currently being followed by a diabetes team, I suggest you ask for a referral to one to help you do this. SS]