From San Diego, California, USA: I am 39, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about six months ago, and I am treated with diet and exercise. Are there over-the-counter medications that raise glucose, such as nasal spray, antihistamines, decongestants, Tylenol, Sudafed, Benadryl, Nasalcrom, etc?

There are medications which can aggravate blood sugars. The medications you describe, especially decongestants, can worsen sugars. However, the effect on sugars is usually transient and not persistent. Medications like the ones you point out, are usually taken for symptomatic relief and taken intermittently. This is unlike prescription medications for a chronic medical condition.

Posted to Other Medications