From Detroit, Michigan, USA:

My 54 year old mother, recently developed diabetes treated with insulin, she works on her feet all day and loves to soak them. I was told recently that foot soakers are not good for her. Is that true? If she can use a foot soaker, what should my mom do to protect her feet when using it?

There are several things which need to be carefully observed. First, the temperature of the water needs to be watched so that patients with neuropathy from diabetes who have lost feeling do not burn the skin on their feet when they place them in burning water. Some method of testing the temperature is encouraged. Second, you don't want to keep feet wet all the time as this provides an environment for fungal involvement of the skin over the feet and between the toes and nails. Make sure feet are gently dried.

It helps to look at feet carefully every day. Any potential problems can be treated without serious consequences. I would say foot baths are not absolutely forbidden, but they can be a source of problems if not carefully used.