From Royal Oak, Michigan, USA:

About 10 months ago, my best friend's 18 years old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes which her doctor thinks had been undiagnosed for a couple of years. She is always sick, bedridden, and has been hospitalized on several occasions. At one point, the doctor didn't think she would survive and no medication is working for her. Can you recommend a facility that specializes in this in our area of where she can take her for help? We think the problem is that it has gone undiagnosed for so long, that nothing is working. Please advise.

I do not know what type of regimen this young woman is on, but I can tell you that she needs a referral to an experienced diabetes team consisting of a diabetologist, a nurse specialist, a dietitian, and a mental health counselor to address her problems. People with diabetes should not be sick, bedridden or frequently hospitalized. Good diabetes control requires addressing many things and devising a treatment plan that meets with the needs for blood glucose control and psychological well-being.

I would have this young woman contact your local American Diabetes Association affiliate or call 1-800-TEAMUP-4 for a list of nearby programs. If these do not seem adequate, she might consider going to a major center one or twice a year for consultation. The ADA will be able to give her a list of these programs as well.