From San Diego, California, USA:

I am 39 years old, I have had type 2 diabetes for about six months, and I had negative microalbumin tests but never had a creatinine test. My understanding is that if albumin tests positive then creatinine is checked. Is there any way creatinine can be adversely affected if microalbumin is normal? Is this a reason to check for creatinine? If so, what does abnormal creatinine indicate? Is it strictly another test for kidney disease or can it indicate that something else is also possibly wrong?

In the development of nephropathy, the microalbumin excretion is elevated long before the creatinine in the blood rises. Therefore, if your albumin level in your urine is normal, I would not worry about getting a serum creatinine level.