From Franklin, Wisconsin, USA:

We have absolutely no family history of diabetes, but my 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 four years ago, and my eight year old son is very concerned about getting diabetes. I heard of a vaccine for type 1 diabetes being given in Switzerland. Do you know anything more about this new vaccine?

There are a number of trials of vaccines being tested for type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes. The objective to change the T lymphocyte response from a destructive Th1 response to a protective Th2 response. These include oral insulin, the B9-23 amino acids in insulin, and recently a much publicized Heat Shock Protein derivative called DiaPep277. None of these are yet approved by the FDA for general release. They would not in any case be of value to your eleven year old daughter, but you might however talk to her doctor about perhaps getting an antibody test done on your son: the number to call to arrange a free test is 1-800-425-8361.