From London, England:

I am 52, and I have type 2 diabetes. How frequently I should be testing my blood sugar? At what times of day? What should my target levels (in mmol/L) be?

The frequency of testing for people with type 2 diabetes is dictated by the level of control, activity, sick days, diet changes, or regimen changes. I strongly believe that patients with type 2 diabetes should be monitoring blood sugars at home -- it is not acceptable to not monitor.

If your hemoglobin A1c is less than 1% above the upper limit of normal, than you monitor less often. If it is not, you need to monitor more as you intensify therapy. I would say if your sugars are within range, monitor twice a day, at alternating times. If not, you should monitor at least four times per day (before meals and bedtime snack).

[Editor's comment: The American Diabetes Association recommends the following whole blood glucose targets: 80-120 mg/dl [4.4-6.7 mmol/l] before meals and 100-140 mg/dl [5.6-7.8 mmol/l] at bedtime. Plasma glucose values are 10-15% higher than whole blood glucose values, and it is crucial that you know whether your meter and strips provide whole blood or plasma results. SS]