From Canby, California, USA:

I am 32 years old, have had diabetes for about 15 years, and my recent microalbumin was 27. Should I be concerned about this higher number? What steps should I take at this point?

The number is either from a 24-hour urine or a random urine. In either case, the upper end of normal runs around 30. This means that the number you have is in the upper end of normal. Sometimes, the urine albumin can be elevated immediately after exercise, high blood sugars, or high protein intake.

I would recommend you speak with your physician about another check as there is some variability in the same person from sample to sample. If it is still in the upper end of normal, you need to maximize blood sugar control and high blood pressure control. If no elevated blood pressure exists, but your urine microalbumin is elevated, you may need to check with your physician about a class of medications called ACE inhibitors as these agents have been shown to protect kidney function over time in patients with diabetes.

[Editor's comment: Also, see How to Protect your Kidneys at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]