From Syracuse, Utah, USA:

I am 29 weeks pregnant with my second child, I have just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, I am concerned because my first pregnancy ended in a fetal death at 38 weeks, and the doctors we unable to identify the cause. I was not tested for gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy, but after research, I have discovered that I did have symptoms. Could untreated gestational diabetes cause fetal demise?

The risk of a fetal demise with gestational diabetes, particularly if it is managed with diet alone is close to that of woman without diabetes. The highest risk is in women with long-standing diabetes who also have other complications such as kidney damage. Nevertheless, given your history, I would suggest close fetal surveillance in the last three months of pregnancy. Usually fetal deaths without a known cause are very unlikely to occur again.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes