Question:

From London, England:

I am 52, and I have type 2 diabetes. Last night, my blood sugar about two hours after a meal was 6.4 mmol/L [115 mg/dl], but first thing this morning it was 10.5 mmol/L [189 mg/dl], and I had no food or liquids.How can that be? What is my problem?

Answer:

An elevated fasting blood sugar occurs when the liver puts out sugar during the night. Note that this is independent of your food intake. It is one of the characteristic problems with type 2 diabetes and is not a surprise finding.

[Editor's comment: You should visit with your diabetes team as soon as possible to discuss treatment options to eliminate this problem. SS]

DTQ-20011202052522B
Posted to Daily Care and Type 2