Question:

From Atwater, California, USA:

My boyfriend has type 1 diabetes and major mood swings associated with low blood sugar. He doesn't eat well and says he is fine. He tests his blood sugar all the time and is always amazed at the numbers. The problem is I am not familiar with this at all. What can I do to help when he doesn't want it or doesn't know he needs it?

Answer:

Unfortunately, if he does not want the help from you, there is little you can do if he is an adult. You might be able to talk with him about your concerns and just see if he will open up to you. I bet he is aware of his mood swings and not happy about them so wants to keep this all to himself.

This website has a lot of information about diabetes and you could tell him you just read about a new monitor that, for example, uses blood from the arm, or whatever. Just to try to open up communication. I guess you could see if he would let you meet with his diabetes team to discuss your concerns, but keep in mind you can only change yourself, not others

LSF

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other Social Issues