From Detroit, Michigan, USA:

My 16 year old son had a bad headache and some body aches, a low grade fever and swollen glands. I took him to the doctor who did a blood sugar which was 69 mg/dl [3.8 mmol/L]. The doctor wanted to check it again in two weeks, but my son complained of blurred vision so I picked up from school and took him directly to the doctor. At that visit, a fingerstick blood sugar was 166 mg/dl [9.2 mmol/L], and the doctor is going to do a complete blood workup today. What could cause elevated blood sugar besides diabetes?

Diabetes is the leading cause of high blood sugars. Some medications can cause high blood sugars and there are a few exceedingly rare conditions that can cause an occasional high blood sugar. Diabetes is usually not diagnosed on a single high blood sugar done on a handheld meter. I would suggest proceeding with the detailed testing your physician has recommended.

[Editor's comment: I completely agree with Dr Brown's advice. However, please also note that a blood sugar of 166 mg/dl [9.2 mmol/L], if it was done within about two hours of a meal, is only slightly elevated. If your son was still sick when it was checked, the elevation may have been caused by his illness. I would be sure that testing for diabetes is done after he is well again.

Also see Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines. SS]