Question:

From Detroit, Michigan, USA:

My 16 year old son had a bad headache and some body aches, a low grade fever and swollen glands. I took him to the doctor who did a blood sugar which was 69 mg/dl [3.8 mmol/L]. The doctor wanted to check it again in two weeks, but my son complained of blurred vision so I picked up from school and took him directly to the doctor. At that visit, a fingerstick blood sugar was 166 mg/dl [9.2 mmol/L], and the doctor is going to do a complete blood workup today. What could cause elevated blood sugar besides diabetes?

Answer:

Diabetes is the leading cause of high blood sugars. Some medications can cause high blood sugars and there are a few exceedingly rare conditions that can cause an occasional high blood sugar. Diabetes is usually not diagnosed on a single high blood sugar done on a handheld meter. I would suggest proceeding with the detailed testing your physician has recommended.

[Editor's comment: I completely agree with Dr Brown's advice. However, please also note that a blood sugar of 166 mg/dl [9.2 mmol/L], if it was done within about two hours of a meal, is only slightly elevated. If your son was still sick when it was checked, the elevation may have been caused by his illness. I would be sure that testing for diabetes is done after he is well again.

Also see Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines. SS]