From Mumbai, Maharashtra, India:

I am 27 years old, for the last seven years, I have type 1 diabetes due to acute pancreatitis, and for the last three years, my stool check shows 2+ fat. Whenever I eat, my stomach aches, and I have to empty my bowels at least three times a day. Fat doesn't get absorbed in my body so my weight doesn't increase. I have consulted many doctors who have recommended Pancreatin tablets before food, but it has not helped. Please provide some solution.

Pancreatitis can cause fat malabsorption and diabetes. Insulin injections are the only treatment for now to treat the diabetes.

Enzyme replacement is necessary to replace enzymes not produced anymore by the damaged pancreas. One question which comes to mind is whether you are taking enough of the enzyme tablets with meals. Some patients with persistent pain from pancreatitis have opted for pancreatectomy where the remaining pancreas is removed to decrease pain and persistent source of pancreatitis.

Posted to Aches and Pains