Question:

From Elyria, Ohio, USA:

My three year old son is pale and tired a lot and complains about his belly hurting. He is always thirsty, waking up two to three times a night to drink, so I took him to his doctor who did a blood sugar which was low. Now, they want him tested by the hospital after he has not eaten since midnight for hypoglycemia. I am very afraid so please tell me what you can.

Answer:

A fasting blood sugar test can be helpful in determining whether your son has low or high blood sugars. I believe you are most concerned about low blood sugar which can be caused by multiple possible causes.

If your son has low blood sugar, it will be important to try to determine the cause of the low blood sugar, possibly with some more blood testing. It is usually quite easy to treat. Your physician will be able to direct you with any further testing that may be necessary.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Other causes of hypoglycemia at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hypoglycemia