From Port Murray, New Jersey, USA:

I am 55 years old, and I have had type 2 diabetes for 18 months which I seem to control very well (hemoglobin A1cs are less than 6%) with Glucophage XR [metformin], so why is it that I seem to have some problems with one of my feet (some numbness at times) with this kind of control?

You are concluding that the numbness may be from diabetes but, this need not be the case. Further diagnostic studies may reveal nerve compression at the level of the spinal canal. Diabetic neuropathy usually is symmetrical and does reflect overall glycemic control. Only with an eelectromyogram (EMG) will you be able to know more to differentiate the two. I suggest you speak with your physician and discuss this.