From Borrego Springs, California, USA:

I have an 80 year old friend who has had diabetes for over 50 years, exercises regularly, eats properly and has the diabetes fairly well controlled. However, in the last year and a half, she has gained over 20 pounds -- primarily in the abdominal area, and she is concerned as no one seems to give her an answer as to why she is gaining weight with no change in her dietary habits. Any ideas?

There is no specific answer to your question. Obviously, it would be important to determine whether the weight was from putting on fat or whether there is fluid. If it is fat, which is most likely, one would have to look at diet, lack of exercise, and look at what medications she is taking. I'm afraid I can't give you a more specific answer.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss