From Centertown, Kentucky, USA:

I'm 53 years old, and have had type 2 diabetes for about four years. I have tremendous problems with my feet. They burn like they are on fire, mostly at night which makes for a long night of not much sleep. Is this something caused by my diabetes? if so, what can I do to stop the burning?

Your symptoms sound very much like diabetic neuropathy. Your physician can prescribe several medications which may be effective for treatment. In addition, better blood sugar control is also helpful in decreasing pain.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Diabetes and Foot Pain at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]