Question:

From Dallas, Texas, USA:

My 38 year old wife is 26 weeks pregnant with our second child and was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes (GDM) which she also had during her first pregnancy. Since diagnosis, she has adhered to a strict diet and has been even more physically active than before. She is monitoring her blood glucose level at home and her fasting numbers hovers around the 105 mg/dl [5.8 mmol/L] level. Her doctor has informed her that she will more than likely begin taking insulin soon and will be outfitted with a fetal monitor. My wife is extremely depressed and fears that our baby will die or be born with terrible health issues. We know the possible outcomes, but are there any existing statistics regarding survival rates of infants of mothers with GDM who take insulin that may help ease her mind?

Answer:

The fasting glucose of 105 mg/dl [5.8 mmol/L] will need management beyond just diet -- that is, with insulin. With appropriate fetal surveillance the risk of death to your baby is very similar to someone without diabetes. Your wife's doctor will discuss the management plan with you.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes