From Pompano Beach, Florida, USA:

There is a strong history of diabetes in our family, and I have hypoglycemia, so my two year old son recently had his blood sugar tested which was 70 mg/dl [3.9 mmol/L]. While I understand that this is within the normal range, he exhibits three signs of diabetes -- slow growth (fifth percentile on the charts), excessive thirst, and a craving for sugary foods. Might there be a possibility that he could have diabetes regardless of what the blood test showed? My mother-in-law said that sometimes her blood sugar is low as well even though she has had diabetes since her late 20s.

It is unlikely that your son has diabetes now. Craving sugary foods is not a symptom of diabetes. Sustained growth (even at the fifth percentile) is a normal finding in children. I would watch him for the typical symptoms of diabetes such as excessive thirst, hunger, weight loss, and frequent urination. If he exhibits those signs, then a more detailed look at the possibility of diabetes is warranted.

It is recommended that children have a screening urinalysis done once a year at his age to screen for diabetes and other illnesses. This is typically done in the pediatrician's office during a routine wellness examination.