Question:

From Decatur, Texas, USA:

My three year old was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and is supposedly in his honeymoon period (on 1 unit of NPH insulin every morning). His blood sugars are 77-100 mg/dl [4.3-5.6 mmol/L] on average. I've been told and read several times that young children need to not have many lows. Is this not low for a child this age?

Answer:

Check with your diabetes care team for target blood glucose ranges. At our diabetes center, we aim for most blood glucose levels to be 100-200 mg/dl [5.6-11.1 mmol/L] for children under five years of age.

HVS

DTQ-20010724104938B
Posted to Exercise and Sports