Question:

From Seal Beach, California, USA:

I'm in the Navy, due for a transfer within ten months, and my son has type 1 diabetes. Do you have any suggestions for some of the best places or hospitals known for managing my son? I want to get my son as close as possible to the best.

Answer:

There are excellent places in just about every major metropolitan area in the US, and there are naval facilities at lots of places, too. Offhand, for example, I know that there are naval bases (and local pediatric endocrinologists) around San Diego and Philadelphia.

[Editor's comment: I would put together a list of potential transfer sites and show them to your son's present diabetes team. Team members will be able to point you in the right direction. SS]

[Editor's comment: See Finding a New Diabetes Doctor when you move , at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional advice. WWQ]