Question:

From Birmingham, Alabama, USA:

I am 38 years old, was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia about a year ago, and for the past month, my fasting sugars are 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L] or above. I have seen this when I am pregnant, but I am not pregnant now. Could my hypoglycemia be changing over to diabetes? What should I do?

Answer:

I would suggest that there is a loose association between reactive hypoglycemia and the development of type 2 diabetes later on. For instance, it may be a marker of poorly regulated insulin secretion or hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance, a known metabolic problem with type 2 diabetes.

It sounds like you had gestational diabetes when you were pregnant. Now, instead of having the high blood sugars go away with the pregnancy, the high sugars have remained. We know that women with gestational diabetes are at very high risk for developing type 2 diabetes later on so perhaps this is the case.

Fasting blood sugars greater than 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L], if confirmed in a laboratory, are equivalent to the diagnosis of diabetes. I would talk to your physician about this and have fasting laboratory tests done so you can receive treatment, if needed.