Question:

From Belleville, Illinois, USA:

My 17 year old daughter, diagnosed with diabetes about a month ago, is on a pretty rigid schedule of testing and eating and wants to get a summer job. She is concerned about how to approach the subject of diabetes with a potential employer due to the time requirements of her testing and eating schedule. I really want her to be able to handle this on her own and would welcome any comments or suggestions you might have for her.

Answer:

My first recommendation is that your daughter work in a restaurant, cafe or food market. It's much easier to get food if it is readily available in the workplace! For safety's sake she should educate the people around her about hypoglycemia and treatment. She should always carry glucose tabs in a pocket or fanny pack, and she should never work alone -- no one should. Blood glucose testing and insulin administration can be done in the bathroom or employee lounge. My suggestion is to be positive and open about diabetes and have her educate the people she will be working with.

HVS

Posted to Other Social Issues