Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

How can I become a diabetes nurse? What kind of courses do I need to take? Just some helpful information that can help me get started on my way.

Answer:

Diabetes is a nursing specialty that is learned in addition to the general nursing curriculum. As you work through your nursing education, you can do all your special projects and research papers on diabetes care to learn more about diabetes. During your clinical rotations request to care for patients that have diabetes.

Join the American Diabetes Association and the American Association of Diabetes Educators (at a discounted rate for students) to receive diabetes journals on education and treatment.

Diabetes is a public health epidemic in the United States with 8 million people diagnosed and another 8 million unaware and suffering from undiagnosed diabetes and the rates are climbing. Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness, kidney dialysis and amputation in the U.S. and most all of these complications are preventable with education and treatment. We need more diabetes nurse educators than ever, so keep up with your studies.

HVS